Miriam's Blog

Miriam's blog is being prepared to serve as a journal or travelog about the March, 2006 trip to Lesotho and South Africa.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Communion of Saints


While on our safari, I remembered a day some 30 years ago when I was teaching second grade at St. Mark’s in Venice. Mom went with us as one of the class chaperones and we had a great time. Toward the end of the day we went to see the giraffes (and I remember when I was in primary grades in San Diego Mom would love to take us to the zoo and watch the elephants, zebras and giraffes). It so happened that as we and 45 seven year olds approached the giraffe cages, the giraffes were mating. “Look,” cried the kids,”the giraffes are dancing. Sister, they are having fun, they’re dancing together!” What’s a young nun to do? Mom just looked at me, laughed and said, “Well, Sister…they’re all yours!” We had many laughs about that!

So when we set out on our safari, I decided to put a fleece before her. “OK, Mom, give me a sign, Just one giraffe while we’re here, please. Just one!” On our very first drive out of the forest came the most beautiful giraffe, tall, regal-like --- followed by 15 more giraffes! What an amazing sight! There were all sizes including little ones and they played and paraded right there in front of us. I was overwhelmed.

The next day when we left I decided to push a bit. “I don’t want to be greedy, but how about just one more giraffe, this time a little closer. Please?” So about ten minutes into our drive we heard some noise next to our car and there, right at the side of the road so close you could almost touch it, was the most beautiful giraffe feeding on a tree. We watched for a long time again amazed and overwhelmed by such a magnificent sight at such close range.

OK, said I. I believe! There are skeptics who would say “Get over it! The giraffes would have been there anyway.” But I don’t believe that. I believe in the communion of saints and I could hear Mom laughing as I enjoyed the wonders of the giraffes in the wilds of Africa!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home